Saturday, March 2, 2013

What I Have Learned About Action Research

The word “Research” causes me all kinds of anxiety.  When you add the word “Action” in front, it takes a bit of the edge off.  I was still a little unsure of what I was getting myself into at the beginning of my class.  After completing my assigned readings, I felt much more at ease.

Action research is rooted in the concerns of practitioners in real-world settings and in disciplined self-evaluation and reflection.  The researcher does research on him or herself.  The action research process requires participants to reflect systematically on their educational practice in order to bring about improvement and contribute to new knowledge.  Participants define areas for improving learning, develop action plans, act on those plans, gather data, assess their learning, and redefine area of further improvement.

Now that I have a good understanding of what action research is, I realize that people do this all the time without realizing it.  I have done it, but in a very limited way.  The best thing about this type of research is it is done in a real-world setting where you have a vested interest.  You are able to focus on the needs of your students, and your campus. 

I am really excited to share my action research adventure and look forward to following my fellow classmates’ action research projects as well.  It is a great way to collaborate and grow professionally.

2 comments:

  1. Research gives me anxiety too!! When I started this whole process I was completely overwhelmed and felt like I had little to no experience. But I, like you, realized quickly that we do this as professionals all the time...it's essential to ensuring our students get the best education they can possibly recieve. (I'm just glad I'm not the only one that felt anxiety over this)!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was extremely overwhelmed after our first web conference and had not idea what was in my future. I imagined myself in a corner of a library with a pile of books surrounding me. I agree, we do action research all the time, just not as through and extensive. I am excited knowing my action research will benefit the students and the campus as well. It feels good to be able to "research" and have faces that go along with our findings. Best of luck, I wish you "rad" results!

    ReplyDelete