Saturday, February 15, 2014

EDLD 5366 Week 5 Reflection 1.2

Implementation in the classroom

Implementing websites into the PK-12 classroom is limitless.  There are so many different websites that teachers can use in their classrooms to enrich student learning.  I have a daughter in the third grade and she works on a web-based program called Think Through Math which is aligned with the Math TEKS and is quite rigorous in order to prepare students for the STAAR test.  Students have access to the program at school and at home.  I have used several different reading programs when I was a Special Education teacher that allowed my students to work on their level.  As an elementary Physical Education teacher, I have used You Tube videos in my class when introducing my students to the Winter Olympics and to introduce my students to popular dances.  I have also used Fun Brain in my class and my students loved it and it made learning fun for them.  Brain POP is also a great educational website that is animated and engages students while focusing on curricular concepts. 

I think blogs are a great way for students to post assignments and reflect on their learning experiences.  Wordle is a fun program that can be used in the classroom to allow students to be creative while accomplishing a task such as describing a character from a book, or defining the various meanings associated with math, science, or history concepts.  Turn It In is used to submit writing/research assignments to check for plagiarism and check for originality. 

Although there are an abundance of websites that teachers can incorporate into their classrooms to foster student learning experiences and prepare them for their futures, the amount of available technology in a school can have an effect on how much teachers can use it in their classrooms.  This being said, it is important for teachers to evaluate and determine which website would be most beneficial to their students and the tasks at hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment